Are you an aspiring designer with professional experience in design and want to realize an innovative business idea?
The FANTASMEEM Faculty is a two-week residency which responds to a set of identified challenges faced by designers, illustrators, and animators whose aim is to transform their innovative ideas into sustainable business models. These challenges affect the whole ecology of design business development around the practices of graphic design, product design, animation and illustration, fashion design, type design, interior design, and landscape design etc. - How can aspiring designers overcome the gap between design education and the market?
- What are the best practices in the design and creative industries and how can designers in Lebanon benefit from design-oriented business mentorship, in order to grow their own businesses?
- How can designers develop their businesses with a holistic approach, while also taking into consideration the impact of their work socially, environmentally and culturally, and finding opportunities of growth and development in non-traditional sectors? (i.e. waste management sector, locally sourced materials for a fashion brand etc…)
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
The selected candidates will have the opportunity to develop their project ideas through a mini-curriculum around cultural entrepreneurship along with a guided mentorship by local and international design experts. Spending two weeks at Hammana Artist House, the participants will be placed in a creative environment where they will be able to develop prototypes and prompts based on their proposals to enhance their startups.
The designers will have the opportunity to work under supervision on innovative project ideas and will be trained in the basics of founding a business. Those include concept development, marketing, digital competence, sales, legal matters, and carrying out negotiations with investors.
Additionally, the mentorship program provides insights on business and financial planning and sets the foundation for community and network building that would sustain knowledge exchange and sharing of best practices in design entrepreneurship and business development.
Logistic and administrative support is included in the residency as well as full catering throughout their stay. Hammana Artist Residency does not offer individual rooms for the 20 designers therefore shared sleeping arrangements should be expected.
During the FANTASMEEM Faculty participants will receive a stipend of 1000 US$. Additional financial support for production and materials may be provided where deemed necessary.
APPLICATION PROCESS A jury of local and international experts will select the 20 participants for the FANTASMEEM Faculty. The selection process is anonymous and aims towards diversity of practices.
This call is open to designers from the MENA region and residing in Lebanon. The selected participants are required to have basic knowledge of English and to attend the full residency program.
WHO CAN APPLY?
1. Are you an aspiring designer, maker or craftsman/woman with a professional experience in:
Animation and Illustration
Other design related fields
2. Do you have an innovative business idea that you want to realize?
3. Have you obtained a degree in design or any related technical field (manufacturing, engineering etc.)?
4. Or do you have an equivalent professional experience of a minimum of 2 years (freelancer or employed)?
Go to our website www.goethe.de/beirut/fantasmeem for full details and apply before December 12!